I find the “relationship” questions for Passage 1 / Passage 2 to be so hard!
Main idea, no problem. Tone, easy.
But don’t ask me to state “the relationship” between the two passages in a very short sentence (i.e. 6-8 words). I fumble every time.
Here’s a Passage 1 / Passage 2 Relationship Recipe
- Read the questions to see if there are any that relate to just one of the two passasges. If so, read that passage first and answer those questions.
- Read passage 1. Circle transitions, dashes, colons, etc. They signal something important.
- Underline last sentence (i.e. main idea)
- Quickly jot down main idea in your own words in shorthand.
- Note the tone: + –
- Read second passage and repeat steps 2-5.
- Note the “relationship” in shorthand between the two passages.
- Cover up answers and come up with your own answer. Uncover answers and see if one of the multiple choice answers matches yours.
- Write down everything so you are not taxing your working memory.
Below is my rendition of what I learned (i.e. don’t blame Erica if you don’t get it):